Sunday, February 20, 2011

What is a Fat Girl Party Dress?

So have you ever gone shopping and put on a completely inoffensive dress, then looked at yourself in the mirror and thought, "Hmmm...." It's not that the dress looks bad--depending on the price and your needs, you might even buy it--but, it's the sort of thing that makes you blend into the background, even with proper accessorizing.

This phenomenon is most pronounced with dresses that look better as size 8 and larger (I live in NYC, so "fat" is a rather, ahem, elastic term). It is the sort of dress that your skinny friends will commend you on, because you finally found something to make your ass unembarrassing, but they are still the pretty ones. You are not enjoying your flesh, feeling beautiful and confident. You are the easy-to-ignore fat friend.

I've decided to name this blog Fat Girl Party Dress because I wanted to reference femininity, fashion, feminism, friendship, fucking, and all the other f-words out there. I've started a lot of blogs and because I was trying to write for other people, I have barely been able to start. Now I am, first and foremost, writing for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment